Yesterday i migrated APEX 3.2 to 4.0 on my local XE database and it went smoothly, i thought it would be good to share with you some tips. One of the coolest thing is APEX 4.0 installer migrates automatically all meta-data from your old installations.
One of the main features i like in APEX 4.0
- Team development.
- Dynamic Actions.
- Flash charts.
- Better themes including maps (which is good enough to impress management for geographical reporting)
and many more to explore :)
Steps to follow:
1) Your database must be 10.2.0.3 or greater (else you will waste lot of time as my manager did yesterday LOL ... ) (if you have oracle XE install then no worries)
also make sure that Oracle Text and XML DB is installed and configured
2) Backup you database and all applications (good practice)
3) Unzip Apex 4.0 folder to some folder other than 3.2 apex i copied into
the folder must be named as apex (without any version name)
4) Run the installation scripts
Full development installation
c:\cd c:\oracleXE\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\apex c:\ sqlplus sys/mypassword as sysdba sql> @apexins.sql SYSAUX SYSAUX TEMP /i/
c:\cd c:\oracleXE\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\apex c:\ sqlplus sys/mypassword as sysdba sql> @apxldimg.sql c:\oracleXE\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server
Note: Dont give complete path with apex folder
Change ADMIN password if required (script will prompt for password)
c:\cd c:\oracleXE\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\apex c:\ sqlplus sys/mypassword as sysdba sql> @apxchpwd.sql
Thats all while installing you will see the above message means your old apex installation is migrating to new one.
Run the apex home page as http://localhost:8080/apex you will see new interface
Perform post installation tasks
More info at Oracle APEX installation docs
Have a nice day,